If you always use the same shipping method, create free shipping option in accordance with this method. This is the simplest option. Free delivery is available only when amount in shopping cart reaches a minimum. In the following screenshot you can see that the buyer has reached the minimum order amount - more than $50:
Before you will start to configure Magento free shipping, you need to understand how to configure shipping methods in Magento.
How to configure Magento free shipping:
- Log into the Magento Admin panel.
- Go to System → Configuration.
- Select Shipping Methods in the right column.
- In the upper left corner of the page, in the Current Configuration Scope field select your website.
- Find shipping method which you want to offer.
- This method must already be enabled and configured for non-free delivery.
- In the Free method select the method that you want to offer for free delivery. For each order, you can offer only one type of free shipping. In the following example you can see that we can offer lots of mathods as Magento free shipping method. This means that if order’s amount gets the minimum, customer may choose free shipping.
- In the Free shipping with minimum order amount, select Enable.
- In the Minimum order amount for free shipping enter the minimum amount for order.
- Save your settings.
Offer Magento free shipping to your customers
So now you have free shipping for a minimum order amount. That’s really good. There is only one problem left: your customers don’t know about it. We need to tell them!
You include free shipping, but your client will not see it as a delivery option, until he/she reaches the required order amount. So free shipping can be a pleasant surprise to those who have reached the minimum order amount. But it will not encourage customers to add something to their order, if you do not find a way to inform customers about free shipping.
One of the best places to offer Magento free shipping is somewhere near the shopping cart, which appears on every page of your website. For example, like in the picture below:
Now let's set up this feature. The format of your online store, terminology, colors, styles, fonts and images are controlled by your theme.
To perform this procedure, you should have an access to the Magento files. You should have an opportunity to edit files on the server.
How to offer Magento free shipping to your customers:
- Using an FTP client or HTML editor find the file:
- Open this file. You can use any text editor.
- In this file find the following (similar) code.
<p class="subtotal"> <?php if ($this->canApplyMsrp()): ?> <span class="map-cart-sidebar-total"><?php echo $this->__('ORDER TOTAL WILL BE DISPLAYED BEFORE YOU SUBMIT THE ORDER'); ?></span> <?php else: ?> <span class="label"><?php echo $this->__('Cart Subtotal:') ?></span> <?php echo Mage::helper('checkout')->formatPrice($this->getSubtotal()) ?> <?php if ($_subtotalInclTax = $this->getSubtotalInclTax()): ?> <br />(<?php echo Mage::helper('checkout')->formatPrice($_subtotalInclTax) ?> <?php echo Mage::helper('tax')->getIncExcText(true) ?>) <?php endif; ?> <?php endif; ?> </p>
- Before the last line insert message like this:
<p> We offer free shipping on orders over 50$! Does your order qualify? </p>
- View results in your store.